Summer Reading 2018 signups begin the week of June 18th!
When participants sign up they receive a reading log, a schedule of free events (which are optional to attend), other goodies and a book bag to store them in. The goal is to read (or listen) for 16 hours. Once that goal is reached participants can bring their reading log in to collect their free book and other prizes.
Summer Reading Events will happen on Thursdays at 10 a.m. in the Community Meeting Room:
June 21st: Judy Pancoast Concert Effervescent, energetic, entertaining- all of these words describe Judy Pancoast, a singer, songwriter and recording artist who radiates joy in her music. All ages.
June 28th: MAD Science: Sounds like Science Kids will get tuned in to learning with exciting demonstrations and experiments including the surprisingly loud Dinosaur-in-a-can and a kid created thunder storm. K-5.
July 5th: Mime and Magic featuring Christopher Yerlig A unique blend of pantomime comedy, movement illusions, sleight of hand magic tricks and balloon wizardry that will leave everyone smiling. All ages.
July 12th: Lindsay and her Puppet Pals Lindsay’s highly interactive, comedic performances delight the young and the young at heart! These larger than life, hand crafted puppets charm even the most timid audience members and provide memorable characters for positive short stories and skits. Pre-k and up.
July 19th: X Marks the Spot with Liza Gardner Walsh Learn about how to find amazing treasures hidden in right under our feet from the vast array of rocks and minerals to the rivers of gold as well as some stories of buried loot. Pre-k and up.
July 26th: Rock Painting You can create a mandala stone or other design during this make and take session. Pre-k and up.
August 2nd: Mother Goose on the Loose A bookworm has eaten the pages of Mother Goose’s nursery rhyme book! Through the use of props, costumes, and silly antics, Mother Goose enlists the help of the audience to remember her rhymes. Pre-k-1.
- Monday: Wiggle Worms Music, movement, stories and more for children ages 0-5 and their caregivers, Mondays in the Children’s Room @ 10:00
- Tuesday: Toddler Time Our lap sit program helps your child develop language and literacy skills by singing songs, sharing books, and learning nursery rhymes, while interacting with other children and caregivers. Tuesdays in the Children’s Room @ 10:00
- Tuesday: LEGOS at the Library Join us for an afternoon with Legos! Tuesdays in the Children’s Room @ 3:00
- Wednesday: Family Story Time A weekly program that readies your child for Kindergarten by sharing stories, educational activities and art projects. For children ages 3-5 and their caregivers. Wednesdays in the Children’s Room @ 10:00
- Wednesday: LEGO Build New Theme each week – ages 6 and up. Wednesdays in the Children’s Room @ 3:00 ***LEGO Build will be on summer hiatus from 6/20 until 8/29***
- Thursday: Thoughtful Thursday Play Come join us as we share stories, songs, and fun for children ages 3-5 and their parents or caregivers.
Thoughtful Thursdays will be all about exploring topics like identifying & managing feelings, learning techniques to focus and calm down, expressing gratitude, and many others. Sometimes we will include calming activities like yoga and arts & crafts. We are fortunate to have children’s yoga Instructor Meghan Reitchel, RYT 200, of Firefly Kids Yoga leading us in yoga from time to time! Meghan’s classes blend age-appropriate yoga poses with energizing music, yoga games and crafts, mindful moments, and plenty of smiles into each session. Thursdays in the Children’s Room at 10:00 ***Thoughtful Thursday Play will be on hiatus from 6/21 until 8/2, restarting on 8/9.***
- Friday: Incredible Infants A weekly program for babies from birth to 1 year and their parents or caregivers. Designed to support babies’ language development and learning by experiencing repetitive songs, lap bounces, finger plays and stories. Fridays in the Children’s Room @ 10:00
- Barks & Books A reader dog program for readers ages 6+. Please reserve a spot in advance in Youth Services. Every 3rd Thursday of the month, September-May 3:30 – 4:30.
- Food for Thought For children 3 – 8 and their caregivers to share books, recipes, food, activities, and FUN Every 2nd Wednesday of the month, October-May 6:00 – 7:00.
- Rockin’ Readers A book group for curious 3rd – 6th graders. Parents are welcome to sit in.
- Tween Scene a different themed activity each month for tweens ages 8-12. Every third Thursday, 6 – 7pm.
- First Friday Play-Doh Fun! Join us for free time Playing with Play-Doh on the first Friday of each month, 2 – 4pm.